National Anti-Crisis Management: We need sanctions against specific individuals involved in falsifications and violence, as well as economic sanctions against the Lukashenka regime
Pavel Latushka, Head of the National Anti-Crisis Management, member of the Presidium of the Coordination Council, Vladimir Astapenko and Anatoly Kotov, responsible for foreign policy at the National Anti-Crisis Management, met with high representatives of the foreign ministries of Austria, Italy, Canada, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Poland, Estonia, the European Parliament and the European Commission, to whom corresponding appeals on the issue of expanding sanctions against those responsible for election fraud and repressions in Belarus were also sent.
At the same time, a proposal was submitted to create the High-level Mission with the participation of representatives of the EU and Russia, which would help resolve the crisis in and around Belarus.
At the same time, due to the ongoing violence in Belarus and the refusal of the authorities to start a real dialogue with society, in accordance with the recommendations of the OSCE report within the framework of the "Moscow mechanism" the following proposals were made:
Proposals of the National Anti-Crisis Management for the EU:
1. Significantly expand the sanctions list to include those involved in election fraud, repressions of citizens, violence and tortures against civilians: members of election commissions, officials, heads of enterprises, University rectors, representatives of the Belarusian media, judges, investigators, prosecutors, siloviki. It is their actions that are leading to a deepening humanitarian crisis in the country.
It was noted that representatives of the democratic movement of Belarus will continue to propose expanding the lists as they are compiled.
2. Impose sanctions on individuals and companies that finance the regime’s activities.
3. Impose an embargo on the export/import of weapons.
4. Introduce a moratorium on providing financial assistance to the regime, except for humanitarian projects (for example, the fight against COVID-19)
5. Apply to international financial institutions such as the World Bank, IMF, IFC, EFSD, EBRD, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, EIB (European Investment Bank), NIB (Nordic Investment Bank), EDB (Eurasian Development Bank) and AIIB (Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank) to impose a temporary moratorium on any loans, credit guarantees, insurance, financing, refinancing or other financial assistance, except for humanitarian projects (for example, the fight against COVID-19).
6. Recommend to the companies, registered in these countries, to suspend any trade and investment cooperation with the Belarusian authorities.
7. Start establishing an independent international mechanism to investigate human rights violations in Belarus.
8. Adopt a joint resolution to support criminal prosecution of persons involved in violence in Belarus, regardless of their location.
9. European states and international institutions were invited to consider the imposition of other sanctions against the anti-people regime.
Moreover, in all EU countries, the Belarusian diaspora is actively involved in the work to inform the government institutions, general public, media about the need to bring to justice those responsible for tortures and repressions and financing the dictatorial regime.
The effectiveness of sanctions is unquestionable
In 2011−2012, due to the imposition of sanctions by other states, the authorities were forced to release political prisoners Sannikov, Statkevich, and Bialiatski.
Today there is a situation when the rights and freedoms of citizens are violated so massively and cruelly that entire districts of the city are de-energized, their residents are terrorized for national symbols, and the Belarusian-speaking people receive "tags" and "special" treatment from power agents, all this has led to the fact that our society is ripe and ready for the sanctions policy of other countries to be as broad as possible.
Discuss in social networks:
Facebook | Instagram | Telegram | Twitter